Decades ago, a young boy at the age of six, had the experience of being the head of his family. Orphaned at an early age, he had to take over the responsibility of being the padre de pamilya. The untimely death of his father, left him with no choice but to assist his mother in raising up the family, being the oldest child.
Born in April 1, 1962, this boy is now the Municipal Mayor of San Luis, Pampanga. Mayor Venancio S. Macapagal, or Mayor Asyong, as he would like his constituents call him, is an epitome of humility and simplicity. He would like to mingle with the people as he performs his tasks of rendering service to his kabalen. Nobody hesitates to approach the Mayor, who is clad with simple and ordinary attires.
In his short stint as Local Chief Executive, the administration of Mayor Asyong boasts a long list of achievements and accomplishments, among these are the following:
- Hands on policy during emergencies, disasters, calamities and crisis situations. He personally joins rescue, search and retrieval operations; driving heavy equipments during sand bagging in order to save or prevent the flooding of barangays near the Pampanga River. Very common seeing him assisting volunteers packing and distributing relief goods.
- Silver Awardee of the Seal of Good Housekeeping by the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
- Purchase of agricultural and heavy equipments which can be used to alleviate poverty.
- The “Iskolar: Papagaral Daka Program” which grants a four year college scholarship to poor but deserving students.
- The establishment of the San Luis High School, the only public secondary school in the poblacion area. Envisioned to serve and offer free secondary education to eight surrounding barangays.