Until the middle part of 17th century, San Luis was a part of the town of Pinpin (now Sta. Ana) and was known then by the name of “San Nicolas Cabagsac”. “Cabagsac” is a contraction of “Cabag, bagsac” or “bagsacan cabag” in Kapampangan meaning the place where plenty of fruit bats are catched. The name San Nicolas was in honor of it first parish priest, Fr. Nicolas de Orduno.
On petition of the inhabitant and consequently upon the recommendation of Fiscal General Don Sebastian Martinez and Assessor Commissioner Juan Joseph Itra, this southern section was separated from Pinpin. By virtue of an Executive Order issued by Miguel Espeleta, the Spanish Governor General of the Philippine Island, on February 14, 1761 the Municipality of San Luis was then created and the name of “San Nicolas Cabagsac” was changed to San Luis, after the name of the Patron Saint Alloysius de Gonzaga whose feast day is celebrated by the whole town on the 21st day of June of every year.
About three decades later or about in 1793 that the old church and convent was constructed under the supervision of Don Tomas Manankil. The Church is one of the oldest and most durable religious edifice in the Philippines